Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Excuses excuses, and recent happenings

I have been a bad blogger lately -- life all of a sudden got super busy within the past couple of weeks!  Do you feel that way too??  And now here are my excuses, I really do have some good ones!!

First of all, I switched shifts at my job (I am an Ultrasound Tech at a major NC hospital) -- and that is definitely a cause for celebration!!  WAHOOO!!


For the last year, I have worked every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (7am-7pm), and I just switched to working the overnight shift (7pm-7am) on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights.  HALLELUJAH! ...I think. 
Do any of you healthcare (or other job) people work the "graveyard" shift?  Any advice for me?  I think I like it so far, I just sleep during the day after I work, and it is SOOO amazing having Wed-Sunday afternoon OFF!  LOVE my weekends.  Missed my weekends.  And now they are BACK!

There's also been another big change in the Sadlow household: John and I have started the Paleo 30 day challenge.  For those of you who do not know about the Paleo (or Paleolithic, or Caveman) diet, check out this, this, this, or read this book.  This is a great Paleo blog. 
 It is basically a lifestyle/healthy eating technique where you essentially eat the way that cavemen or hunter-gatherers would back in their day.  So, pretty much just eating lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, and nuts.  NO grains, breads, rice, dairy, processed foods, or refined sugars. 



We are currently on day 17 of 30, and it's actually going really well!  John "caved" - no pun intended- and had Chick-fil-a twice, and I still put cream in my coffee (twice a week), but other than that, we are on a ROLL.  I feel healthier, my clothes fit better, I have more energy, and I am sleeping better.  I really think that I will continue to eat like this even after the challenge.  

Some of my favorite "Paleo" foods:
Almond milk
Coconut milk
Almond butter on apples/bananas
Taco salad - my own blend of seasonings, lean ground beef, avocado, spinach, and organic salsa.
Trader joe's trail mix 
Smoothies (protein powder, almond milk, frozen berries, banana, and honey)
Grilled chicken on salads
Crock pot pulled pork
Stuffed peppers
Banana Ice cream 

and some food pics:


banana ice cream


Comment below, or email me if you want more Paleo info or recipes!!  I'd love to share!!


Other than that, there has been:

Birthday parties (for Kate and Katie!!), 







Girls night w/ plenty of Prosecco :)



Duke Football games!  

And plenty more!! WHEW!! 

Hope you are all doing lovely!!
XOXO

No comments: