Friday, February 3, 2012

Tortellini Soup


I made this easy weeknight dinner last week, after seeing Natasha post it on her blog.  It looked simple, tasty, and I already had a lot of the ingredients.  So I gave it a shot, and I'm so glad I did!  I think it took me a total of 15 minutes (give or take) and there was even enough for leftovers!  I will definitely be making this again.  (Oh, I did use a bigger package of pasta, I think maybe 15oz and I used spinach/cheese stuffed RAVIOLI, instead of tortellini.)  
So I guess I should have called it Ravioli Soup :-)

Tortellini Soup
(slightly adapted from Annie's Eats)
Yield: 3-4 servings


Ingredients:

1 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. dried oregano
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juices
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
9 oz. tortellini, any variety (fresh or frozen)
3 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
Salt and pepper
Grated Parmesan, for serving



Directions:

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions to the pan and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Mix in the oregano and diced tomatoes.  Add the broth to the pot.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package directions.  One minute before the tortellini is fully cooked, stir in the spinach.  Remove from the heat.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve warm with grated Parmesan as desired.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing. Always looking for good new recipes.

Hilliary Meisner said...

This looks like a soup my grandmother used to make! Looks so yummy!

natasha {schue love} said...

Ooo yum!! The ravs are a great alternative! :)