Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Cheesy Squash Casserole

John LOVES veggies.  He would take a side of broccoli or asparagus over bread or pasta, or even fruit, ANY day.  I, on the other hand, like my fruits and carbs much more.  He has definitely been a good influence on me though, and I have found myself cooking, roasting, baking, and broiling vegetables much more lately.  I have found one specific way that makes me like them even better.  Just add cheese.

I found this Cheesy Squash Casserole on the Food Network website, and when I read that it was Paula Deen's recipe, all I could think was: "It probably is just butter with a little squash mixed in."  But I tried it anyway, and I substituted a few things here and there...and it was so GOOD!  (P.S. It only calls for ONE tbsp of butter!!) 

It's definitely a staple in our house now, and I'll for sure be making it into the fall and winter.   




Cheesy Squash Casserole
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
6 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced 
1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced 
1 tablespoon butter 
1/2 cup grated Parmesan 
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar 
1/2 cup sour cream (I used low fat)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper 
1 sleeve crackers, crushed medium to fine (I used Ritz - reduced fat)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash, onion, and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.







Enjoy!!


No comments: