Monday, August 19, 2013

Skinny Frozen Peanut Butter Pie



I recently needed to whip up a dessert to bring to a dinner party, and I found this gem, and gave it a shot.  I had the day off work to prepare, giving myself plenty of time to make and freeze beforehand.  
I haven't been craving rich or chocolaty desserts at all through this pregnancy.....I've been more of a sour candy and gummy bear lover.  So I thought I wasn't going to be the biggest fan of this dessert.  
But midway through preparing it, as I was licking the spatula testing the batter, I think I may have gasped aloud.  
This filling is to.die.for.  

Not to mention, it's nestled between an OREO crust, layers of Reeses Pieces and chocolate syrup.  
It's kind of dangerous.  And it might just be my new favorite dessert.  
Perfect for summer, dinner parties, birthdays, or just to have in your freezer to nibble away at a little (or a lot) at a time.   

Skinny Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

Ingredients:

Oreo Cookie Crust:
24 reduced fat Oreos 
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) light butter, melted 
Filling:
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened (may also use fat free)
8 oz fat-free thawed whipped topping (I used Cool Whip Free)
1/4 cup chocolate syrup (I used Hershey's Sugar-Free)
1 cup crushed Reese's Pieces, divided


Instructions:

First, make the Oreo cookie crust by crushing the Oreos into a fine crumb using a food processor or blender. Using your hands, mix the crushed Oreo crumbs and melted butter together. It may look like there is not enough butter, but it will come together. Place into a 9 or 10 inch pie pan, pressing the crumbs onto the bottom and up the sides as much as it will fit. Try to make the crust 1/8 inch thick all around. It does not have to be perfect, though. Set in the freezer as you make the filling.

Prepare the pie filling in a large bowl by mixing the peanut butter, sugar, cream cheese, and milk. An electric mixer would be easier, but I gave myself a good arm workout, and used a wooden spoon. Mix until the mixture is completely smooth. Gently fold in the whipped topping.
Remove pie crust from the freezer and layer 1/2 of the pie filling onto the crust. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the crushed Reese's Pieces. Layer with the rest of the pie filling, swirling to make it completely smooth on top. Top with chocolate syrup and remaining Reese's Pieces.
Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. 20 minutes before serving, remove from the freezer and let sit out to gently thaw. This made the pie much easier to cut.

Enjoy!  And then come back, and THANK me for introducing you to this slice, errr - slices, of heaven :)

(P.S.  Don't be fooled by the title...this pie will not make you skinny.  But there are a ton of ways to lighten it up, if you so desire.  I used fat free and sugar-free ingredients wherever I could, so I felt better about eating 1/2 of this pie by myself.  And it still tasted DI-vine.)  


post signature

3 comments:

Eloquently Emily said...

You and all these recipes, I am loving it! I think a couple more trips to the gym might be in order before I try this one! Have a great week!

Charlotte Hayes said...

Hey! Just found your blog and I'm so happy I did. I LOVE IT! Very excited to be following :)

<3, Charlotte

Mrs. Bunnie Qualley said...

this looks AMAZING!!


http://the2qualleys.blogspot.com/

XOXO Bunnie