Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Peanut Butter and Chocolate

Peanut Butter and Chocolate.
Only the best combination of sweets EVER.  In my opinion, at least :)

Even though my pregnancy has been over for 3 months, I've recently had crazy cravings for this delectable and decadent pairing.  

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have noticed this PB/C combo popping up quite frequently!  Here are a few I've tried recently.....

Helloooooo new favorite snack. I’ve been making this sneaky treat whenever I have a sweet craving lately.
Greek yogurt is such a healthy option, especially for breakfast or a mid-day snack, as it’s packed with protein (about 10-11 grams!). Low-carb and low-sugar dieters love it too. AND, just six ounces of this thick and creamy yogurt also provides about 20 percent of your daily calcium, in roughly 100-130 calories depending on brand and serving size.
I usually buy plain nonfat Greek yogurt (Fage or cheap-o store brand), but it tends to be a bit tangy on its own for my tastes. Skip the flavored versions and add your own fresh fruit, honey or homemade granola.
Or make this!

"Cookie Dough" Greek Yogurt
1 individual container of nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp nut butter (peanut butter, hazelnut butter or something like the chocolate almond butter pictured above)
Optional: 1 tsp mini chocolate or dark chocolate chips; 1 tsp brown sugar
Stir all ingredients together in a glass or chilled bowl until well combined. Top with chocolate chips or brown sugar. 

It tastes sort of like peanut butter cookie dough, with around 250 calories. Surprisingly rich and filling, so sometimes I even split it in half and save the rest for later.
(Inspiration for this post came from GirlGoneCountry.com)

Cookie Dough Cup

This has been a yummy, healthier alternative for dessert or an afternoon snack! 
I've been loving Greek yogurt a lot lately, and have been substituting it for lots of ingredients in my recent baking.  This "cookie dough" cup is sweet, but not too sweet.  And although the post I found the recipe from states "optional chocolate chips," they are not optional.  :)



Chocolate Peanut Butter "healthy" Shake

I have raved about this shake on my blog before, and it's quite embarrassing how often I make this sweet treat.  I omit the syrup, but I add a little Hazelnut coffee creamer, and it's just perfection.



Peanut Butter Brownie Pie

Yep, I made this yummy treat several years ago, and it's still one of favorite and go-to recipes!  The picture quality difference of the "Pinterest" pics, compared to mine is just fantastic, by the way.  Yikes.  Not a food photographer.
But don't let the poor quality photo fool you.  Go make this today!  It's absolutely delicious!



Chocolate Dipped Nutter Butters

Another fantastic recipe with a not-so-fantastic picture to prove it.  Again - not a food photographer. But these are perfect for small group get togethers, pot-lucks, new moms, newly engaged, newly married, you get the point.  ANYONE who loves the PB/C combo will fall in love with these!  And they are so ridiculously easy.  Dip Nutter Butter Cookies in chocolate, cover with chopped Reese's peanut butter cups, and refrigerate.  They are really yummy right out of the fridge.


And now for the recipes I want to try!!

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies! Gluten-free, made with whole-grain oats, no flour, no butter, no oil, and with a ton of sugar substitute suggestions!  These are so fudgy, you won't miss the unhealthy ingredients!

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

Omg.  I love brownies, and these look amazing!  And this is another recipe that uses Greek yogurt!  And she adds oats, too, so they're totally healthy!  ;)



Frozen Reese’s Peanut Butter Pie

Frozen Reese's Peanut Butter Pie

Ok, I MUST have this as my birthday cake this year.  OK?  Not that I'm on a super duper health kick lately, but this recipe can absolutely be modified to make it not-quite-so-indulgent.
i.e. fat-free cream cheese, reduced fat crust, fat free Cool Whip, ect.  So, another healthy recipe for you!  You may as well be eating 3 Tic-Tacs for dessert! 
But seriously, this looks delish, and it's perfect for when it FINALLY gets warmer outside!  


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins | chezcateylou.com


I'm definitely a "muffin" gal.  And I recently made a version of these, but added banana, and they were so good!  I really had never thought of adding peanut butter to muffins before, but it works!  Now the version I made used Greek yogurt, oats, and flax seed, so it definitely tasted "healthy," but I was a fan.  This recipe is perfect for breakfast or a snack, when you don't want something EXTRA sweet.  The recipe linked above probably tastes a little sweeter, and less "granola-y". 


Peanut butter Chocolate Chip Cookies for Two

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies for Two

Now this is just the cutest.  Do you ever just get the hankering (does using that word make me sound like a grandma?) for a cookie, or four?  Well, this recipe makes just four delicious peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies.  Share them with a gal pal or significant other.  
Or, eat them all by yourself while watching "Scandal," like I probably will.
Two guilty pleasures at one time - it's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone!  
(I don't think I've ever typed that saying before, and it really is quite morbid!  Poor birds!)
But these cookies really do look divine, like real live bakery cookies!
 These may be next on my to-bake list.


Are you a big Peanut Butter Chocolate fan, like me? 
Have you already devoured the Reese's Easter Egg Cups like me? (why are they so much better than the original?  Do they have more PB?)

Any recipes you are wanting to try, or ones I should try next?
Do tell!!!  :)


1 comment:

dani said...

I love how I clicked over to your post excited to get my cookie dough fix in a "healthy" way and now I'm pinning brownie recipes. ;)